Professional chefs understand the importance of being efficient in the kitchen. Therefore, having the best potato peeler is a necessity for them.
Most of these professional cooks work in popular restaurants, so they tend to have a busy work schedule. Having the right tools and equipment is vital in getting the job done both properly and on time.
Of course, you don’t have to work in a fancy restaurant or be a pro chef to have the best items. Often, those who regularly cook at home also enjoy having effective kitchenware.
|Quick Overview: Top 11 Best Potato Peelers|
OUR TOP PICK!
| 2. Spring Chef Premium Swivel Peeler|
| 3. OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler|
| 4. OXO 21081 Good Grips Y-Peeler|
| 5. Honsen Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Peeler|
| 6. Zyliss Smoothglide Swivel Potato Peeler|
| 7. Classic Swiss Peeler|
| 8. Spiralizer Apple/Potato Peeler|
| 9. Starfrit 93209 Rotato Express Electric Peeler|
| 10. LOHOME Electric Potato Peeler|
| 11. Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0 Electric Peeler|
Best Potato Peelers – Review
1. OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler – The Potato Peeler with a Sure Grip
The OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler is great for peeling tough potatoes. Its oversized handle is designed for continuous repetitive strokes. This can prevent you from getting tired too quickly. The handle is also made for comfort with a non-slip grip. Even when it gets wet, the grip remains non-slip.
The peeler includes a potato eye remover at the tip of the blade. It is dishwasher safe and very easy to store with its large hole on the handle for hooking.
Though the blades are purposely designed to swivel in order to fit the curve of potatoes for easy peeling, don’t press to firmly to avoid slipping and cutting your fingers.
- Oversized handle designed to reduce fatigue
- Non-slip handle for comfortability
- Easy-storage hooking hole
- Swivel blades can be dangerous if handled roughly
Summary: This straight peeler is a handy tool for people with big hands. Its specially designed handle is meant to make handling easier when it comes to peeling potatoes. Some potatoes are quite hard or firm, so this may be a good product to have for the job.
2. Spring Chef Premium Swivel Peeler – The Deadly but Reliable Potato Peeler
This dishwasher safe Spring Chef Premium Swivel Peeler has a non-slip handle that is friendly for both right and left-handers. It has a hole at the end of the handle which allows it to be hanged on hooks for convenient storage.
Its specialty comes from its very sharp stainless steel blades. It is guaranteed customer satisfaction as it peels through potato skins with ease like melted butter. It also includes a built-in blemish remover.
Aside from being careful with the extra-sharp blades, care must also be taken when removing potato blemish as the tip is very pointy.
- Right and left-hander handle friendly with non-slip grip
- Hooking hole for convenient storage
- Extra-sharp stainless steel blades
- Blemish remover is not safe for children use
Summary: This swivel peeler is great for chefs or experienced cooks. It is meant to improve the speed of peeling and potato eye removing. Because of its design, it is not the kind of tool you want to leave laying around within the reach of children. Nevertheless, if you have a lot of soft potatoes to peel, then you might take pride in this peeler.
3. OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler – The Never-ending Potato Peeler
The OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler is one of the famous potato peelers. It has long blades for more maneuvering when peeling. The blades are also made of extra-hardened stainless steel. This adds to its durability and effectiveness in peeling tough potatoes.
It includes a rounded blemish remover on the side. Its position makes it more convenient to remove those potato eyes. The handle is non-slip and contoured for easy handling while peeling in any direction. A hooking hole is also added on the handle.
The blades of this peeler are replaceable, but they are sold separately, so make sure you buy the right ones.
- Long blades for better maneuvering
- Extra-hardened replaceable stainless steel blades
- Conveniently positioned and safe blemish remover
- Non-slip and contoured handle for easy handling with hooking hole
- Replaceable blades may be hard to find
Summary:This Y shaped peeler can make any cook happy. Mostly thanks to its replaceable blades. This gives users the assurance that the product can be used over and over again. The blades are one of the reasons why most kitchens are home to this popular peeler.
4. OXO 21081 Good Grips Y-Peeler – The Potato Peeler for Peeling Marathons
The OXO 21081 Good Grips Y-Peeler is a little cut below its sister, OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler. Its stainless steel blades may not be as hardened, but it is just as sharp. It has a potato eye remover and is dishwasher safe.
Its unique design is the handle. It is made to feel comfortable in your hand for long periods of repetitive action. The style of the grip allows you to peel for much longer. The handle is also non-slip.
When compared with its sister, this peeler may not do as well with wide or big potatoes, as the blades are smaller.
- Sharp stainless steel blades
- Handle made for lengthy peeling and has non-slip grip
- Small sized peeler may not do well with large potatoes
- Cheaper model
Summary: If you want the cheaper version of its famous sister, then this potato peeler can do just about all of what you need. Some people are a fan of small potatoes and choose to buy them, so this peeler can certainly do its job well in this case. If you spend more time peeling a lot of potatoes over tough ones, then you might prefer this model.
5. Honsen Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Peeler – The Potato Peeler of Strength
The Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Peeler is exactly as the name implies. The whole peeler is made of stainless steel. With this, you can trust in its durability and strength. Despite its material, it is lightweight.
Due to its shape, it is dishwasher friendly. It is also very easy to wash manually. The whole handle is hollow but is lined with a non-slip rubber. The sides of the blades have a scrapper, which can act like a potato eye remover.
Because the peeler is fairly large, be careful when using the scrappers as they can easily damage your peeled potatoes if you are after a smooth look.
- Whole peeler is made of stainless steel, giving it greater strength and durability
- Shape makes it lightweight and has non-slip rubber handle
- Has a scrapper on both sides of the blades
- Scrappers can get in the way of peeling
- Its handle style may not be comfortable in some hands
Summary: This peeler is a staple for many homes. It is affordable and can literally be stored anywhere in the kitchen due to its hollow handle design. If you don’t peel potatoes often but would like one available just in case, then you can make do with this long-lasting peeler.
6. Zyliss Smoothglide Swivel Potato Peeler – A Peeler for Potatoes and All Other Kinds of Produce
Looking for an all-purpose vegetable peeler? Then look no further! The Zyliss Smoothglide Swivel Potato Peeler is a one-of-a-kind produce peeler that will serve your kitchen well for years to come. The Zyliss can be used to create perfect carrot shavings, zucchini noodles, potato skins, and more.
Made out of a high-quality stainless steel, the Zyliss peeler blade stays sharp and wont rust or corrode from exposure.It is 100% dishwasher safe, and the textured ergonomic grip fits comfortably in the hand and will not slip when wet. You can cut peeling times in half with the acid-etched stainless steel blade, and a small spot cutter lets you get rid of pits and rotten spots in vegetables. The blade is so sharp you can thinly peel soft fruits like mangos and strawberries and blocks of cheese.
The small profile of the blade does mean that shavings can get stuck in the casing, so it does require periodic cleaning while in use. The Zyliss comes in two separate models, one for fruits and one for vegetables, though you can use either model for both kinds of produce without any problems. At 2.8 oz, it is extremely light and easy to use.
As the cherry on top of the sundae, the manufacturer offers a 5-year satisfaction guarantee, which means you can return it if you are not satisfied with your purchase, Some may prefer a higher quality potato peeler, but for the price, you can hardly find a better option.
- Ergonomic grip reduces hand fatigue and prevents slippage from water
- Very affordable
- 100% dishwasher safe
- Built-in spot cutter for removing pits and stems
- Small blade traps food reside
- White casing can become discolored from washing with very hot water
7. Classic Swiss Peeler – The Petite Potato Peeler
This Classic Swiss Peeler made in Switzerland is ideal for those who want to peel just a thin layer of their potato skins. Just like the Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Peeler, this peeler is also fully made of stainless steel. The difference is in the carbon steel blade. This means that the blade won’t dull, thus, it will never need sharpening.
It has a built-in potato eye remover on the side of the blade. Its thin and hollow handle allows you the ability to grip with flexibility and to reduce hand fatigue.
Unfortunately, it is not dishwasher safe and must be hand washed. The blade must also be fully dry before use.
- Fully stainless steel for durability
- Carbon steel blade for long-lasting sharpness
- Flexible handle for lesser chance of fatigue
- The thin handle may cause pain to the fingers if held for too long
- Needs to be washed manually and blades dried fully
Summary: This peeler straight from Switzerland can also come in plastic form for those who are budget conscious. Its thin size lives up to its name by what it does. Because of its thin slice peelings, this peeler is commonly used for making salads and preparing healthy finger food snacks.
8. Spiralizer Apple/Potato Peeler – The Potato Peeler made to Stand
The Spiralizer Apple Peeler does more than spiralizes and peels apples as the name implies. It can also be used to peel potatoes just as well. The material it’s made of is magnesium. Not only is it built to last a lifetime, but it is also rust-proof.
Its unique feature comes from its powerful rubber vacuum base. This is very convenient for the elderly or those with hand injuries. The blade is adjustable too. Having this function can help you decide how deep you want your potatoes to be peeled.
The winding handle for peeling may require a little more time as you can’t control how much you peel.
- Made to last a life-time and is rust-proof
- Rubber vacuum base for sure stability
- Adjustable blades for different peeling depth
- May take a little longer to peel potatoes with its winding design
Summary: This is a peeler that may be a good addition to your countertop if you have no storage room. Although it contains parts you’ll need to assemble at the beginning, its base can allow it to stay on kitchen tables for convenient future use. This can be a good gift for grandparents as it does require less effort to peel with its winding design.
9. Starfrit 93209 Rotato Express Electric Peeler – The Electric Potato Peeler with Precision
If you are the type that doesn’t enjoy peeling but still want quality peeled potatoes, then you might like the Starfrit 93209 Rotato Express Electric Peeler. It can peel potatoes for you in just 10 seconds. It is easy to assemble and mount, safe to use, and simple to clean with just the use of a damp towel.
It contains a non-slip base for any tabletop and is powered by a plug-in adapter. It also has a built-in compartment at the base that includes 2 spare blades and a thumb knife for potato eye removing. The blades are very precise when peeling, removing only the outer layer of the skin.
The downside with this electric peeler is that the plug may get in the way of your food preparations. It would be best to have it next to an electrical outlet.
- Peels in 10 seconds
- Easy and safe to use and clean
- Has a non-slip base
- Includes a built-in compartment with spare blades and thumb knife
- Precise skin peeling
- Adapter plug may not be convenient for all kitchen environment
Summary:If you have a spacious kitchen or with plenty of electrical outlets, then you may not have any problem with this electric potato peeler. It is great for just removing skins and if you want to dedicate more of your time on other preparation tasks, while still aiming for quality skinless potatoes.
The LOHOME Electric Potato Peeler is a good example of the advances in human technology. Its ultra-safe design can make any fast-faced cook feel safe. It has a humanized power button that requires only a gentle touch to turn on and off. It also has an easily adjustable robotic arm to fit different sized potatoes.
At its non-slip base is a hidden compartment that houses 3 spare sharp blades and a thumb knife. The device can run on 4 AA batteries if you don’t want to use its adapter. The speed of this electric peeler can peel your potatoes in within 10 seconds regardless of the size.
Unfortunately, batteries are not included. It would also be wise to avoid scrubbing the blades when cleaning as this can easily damage them. Running the blades under water might be the best solution.
- Ultra-safe design
- Simple humanized power button function
- Easy adjustable robotic arm
- Hidden compartment with spare blades and a thumb knife
- Can run on batteries
- Peels potatoes in within 10 seconds
- Batteries sold separately
- Blades must be washed carefully
Summary: This electric peeler will certainly make your kitchen look very professional. Not only is the design meant to look like something from the future, but it is designed for convenience in peeling different potato shapes and sizes. This can be a very useful product if you often like to peel other kinds of fruits and vegetables that vary in shape.
11. Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0 Electric Peeler – The Stylish Electric Potato Peeler
The Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0 Electric Peeler is the new and improved version of its old self, the Starfrit 93209 Rotato Express Electric Peeler. Although, most of the changes are found in its stylish and more modern look. Another addition is that it can be operated by 4 AA batteries, as well as with its adapter. This can give you the option of making it mobile or stationary.
It also has its own built-in compartment at the base that includes 2 extra blades and a thumb knife to remove potato eyes. It has a non-slip base, is easily cleaned, and can peel in within 10 seconds.
Because it is the upgraded model, it is a little pricier. Also, batteries are not included with the product.
- Stylish and modern look
- Runs on batteries
- Built-in compartment with extra blades and a thumb knife
- Non-slip base
- Easy to use and clean
- Peels within 10 seconds
- Upgraded model makes it more pricey
- Batteries are not included
Summary:There are many people out there who love keeping their tools up-to-date. If this is you, then you can’t go wrong with this upgrade. It has everything that its old self has, but of course, with improvements. Nowadays, people prefer electric tools that are cordless, so this addition is quite a bonus to customers.
The Buyer’s Guide to the Best Potato Peeler
Knowing all about potato peelers can make it easier for you to decide which would be the best potato peeler or the best electric potato peeler for your needs.
Each kitchen environment or set-up is based on the individual. As you learn more about potato peelers, you can then have a better picture of what to look for that can cater to your kitchen and preparation needs.
There are two kinds of potato peelers. The straight peeler and the Y shaped peeler.
- The Straight Peeler – Straight peelers have their peeling blades in a vertical position, in-line with the handle. The blade can usually swivel, but some products have them fixed in place. People who tend to naturally stroke away from them are those who usually use this type.
- The Y Peeler – Y peelers have their peeling blades in a horizontal position. This is what creates the Y or slingshot appearance. This is the more common type of potato peeler people use, but it is generally used by those who naturally stroke towards them.
Potato peelers can come in two different types. You can have a manual peeler or an electric peeler. Both, of course, have their advantages and disadvantages.
Once you have learned about potato peelers, it’s time to think about what you do in the kitchen.
Asking yourself these questions can lead you to pinpoint your exact item needs.
- “How often do I peel potatoes?”
- “How many potatoes do I peel each time”
- “What meals or dishes will I be making with these peeled potatoes?”
- “Do I want to be efficient with my time or do I have plenty of preparation time?”
Lastly, a good question to ask yourself to help you decide whether you want a manual peeler or an electric peeler is, “Will I enjoy peeling potatoes myself or is it just a task I want to be completed?”
At the end of the day, no one wants to purchase an item and go home feeling disappointed and regretful. Following this 2020 best potato peeler guide and looking into these 10 recommended product reviews can help you get started on the right tract.
So, this review has hopefully filled you with the confidence to search for your best potato peeler or best electric potato peeler.
There are many more brands and products available on the market, especially online. It might get daunting, but our comparison table can act as your basic guide to knowing the difference between each item.
The foundation of every potato peeler product is their durability, stability, and functionality. If you keep this in mind, you won’t be easily swayed by misleading or very appealing advertisements.
Whether you are a professional chef or a regular cook at home, finding the best potato peeler or the best electric potato peeler may make your cooking and preparation needs a much more pleasant time.
Related: TOP 10 BEST VEGETABLE PEELERS